Why support Maine Medical Center?
We’re there when you, your family, and your friends need us most.
Maine Medical Center is a complete health care resource for the people of greater Portland, Maine, the entire state, and northern New England. Incorporated in 1864, MMC is the state’s largest medical center, licensed for 637 beds and employing more than 6,000 people.
MMC's unique role as both a community hospital and a referral center requires an unparalleled depth and breadth of services, including the state’s only medical school through a partnership with Tufts University School of Medicine and a world-class biomedical research center, the Maine Medical Center Research Institute.
You can feel good about making a donation to Maine Medical Center because...
Your giving has results
- When you make a gift to Maine Medical Center you’re joining a community dedicated to caring for the sick, funding programs that provide hope, and maintaining the facilities that bring it all together.
- 81 Maine students are receiving scholarships as part of the Maine Track Medical Education Program that includes studying medicine in rural areas.
- Researchers have made the discovery of a previously unknown hormone with significant implications for diseases like diabetes while others are testing the viability of breakthroughs including a blood test for early detection of breast cancer, and an antibody that recognizes and inhibits tumor growth and metastasis.
- 107 nursing scholarships were provided for continuing education.
- Let’s Go! Childhood Obesity Prevention Program has brought the 5-2-1-0 message statewide.
- Over 500 neonatal and pediatric critical care transports.
- There are many ways you can make an impact in patient care, education, or research at Maine Medical Center.
MMC is fiscally and institutionally sound
Maine Medical Center is the leading healthcare institution in northern New England because of the strong and experienced governance of our leadership. The standards of excellence we adhere to have allowed us the distinction of numerous awards and recognitions.
Consequently MMC can boast an environment of innovation, quality and safety.
We are committed to stewarding our financial resources wisely. Common indicators of strength include endowment size and fundraising efficiency. As of our most recent independently audited report, year ending September 30, 2011, Maine Medical Center’s endowment stood at $89,683,000. This fiscal year, the Development Department reports a return on investment of 890%.
Your involvement is valued
The recognition of our donors is important to us, first, because we couldn’t provide award-winning quality patient care without you, and second, because with your gift you become a member of our team.
For example, when you name Maine Medical Center as a beneficiary in your estate plan you become a member of our Legacy Society. Or, when you make a gift to our Annual Fund you join a distinguished group of faithful supporters. And on very special occasions certain projects have naming opportunities in recognition of the lasting commitment and impact your gift will have on our community.
Lastly, this is your community
When you give to Maine Medical Center you are helping to provide an essential community benefit – the care of those who need it regardless of their ability to pay. On average, MMC provides more than $120 million a year in free care, delivering 23% of all the charity care delivered in Maine. View the full Community Benefit Report to learn more.
And these are your neighbors
Support us today!